My First Time Making Croissants

Hello there!

In my last post, I explained how I was trying to use my time in this second lockdown to make new recipes. Last time it was pasta, this time it is croissants! I kept seeing two-tone croissants on Instagram so I thought I would give them a go. The recipe I adjusted was one I found on YouTube which I will link below so you can give them a go yourself. Hopefully this will show you that many recipes are much easier than you may think. Enjoy! 
YouTube Video 

The Recipe: Two-Toned Chocolate Croissants 

Makes 6 small croissants

  • 55g milk
  • 5g dried instant yeast
  • 195g white bread flour
  • 45g warm water
  • 50g unsalted soft butter
  • 4g salt
  • 20g caster sugar
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 2 tbsp water 
  • 75g unsalted butter (chilled)

1. Warm the milk on the stove or in the microwave until luke warm, then add the dried yeast and set aside.

2. In a bowl, combine the flour, water, softened butter, salt and sugar. Add the yeast and milk mixture then combine. Either use a standing mixture with a dough hook or knead by hand. This took me about 8 minutes (or about 3-4 Christmas songs!) to get a smooth dough by hand. You will know the dough is ready when you can stretch it to see light through it without it breaking, this is known as the 'window test'.

3. Take 70g of your dough and set aside. Combine the cocoa powder with the water to form a paste then add this to your 70g dough. Keep folding the dough until the cocoa is evenly distributed. Wrap both the doughs in clingfilm and place in the fridge. 

4. Next, make your butter sheet by folding a piece of parchment paper so you have a 10x6cm rectangle. Add your butter and flatten into one sheet then place in the fridge. 

5. After at least 4 hours, roll the plain dough to 18x12cm and add your butter to the bottom half of the rectangle then hold the top half down and encase the edges in. Roll it to 9x24cm then perform a double turn by folding the top shortest side into the centre, then repeat with the bottom shortest side then fold the whole sheet in half like a book. Roll to 11x7cm and chill.

6. After an hour, roll to 7x24cm and perform a single turn by folding the top shortest side down to the centre and the bottom shortest side to the top edge. Chill for an hour and a half, then repeat. 

At this point, you can leave it overnight in the fridge like I did so they are shaped in the morning for fresh croissants for breakfast.

7. Roll the cocoa layer to 7x24cm, it will be very thin so may need stretching by hand. Roll the plain dough to the same size and add the cocoa dough on top. Roll to 30x23cm and trim the edges. Mark 9cm along and cut your dough into triangles.

8. Roll up each croissant with the cocoa dough on the bottom and prove until doubled in size. Bake at 180°C/160°C fan/Gas mark 4 for 18-20 minutes and enjoy!


Two-Toned Chocolate Croissants...Ta dah!


I hope you enjoyed this blog post and it has inspired you to try something new! If you missed my last blog post where I made pasta for the first time you can check that out below:


If you liked this post, visit my full blog at: 
https://littlechefbeth.blogspot.com  
Or subscribe by email!

Comments

Popular Posts