My Experience at Six by Nico

Hello there!
For my 21st birthday I was lucky enough to go the restaurant Six by Nico so I wanted to share the experience on my blog. It was my first time going to this restaurant and also having a tasting menu experience. Six by Nico has several restaurants across the UK but it was their London one I went to. These are some of my thoughts about my visit and the lovely food! Enjoy!

The Concept:
The clue is sort of in the name but essentially the restaurant follows the rule of six. They have a 6-course tasting menu which changes to a different theme every 6 weeks. The menu that was available when I visited was themed 'Childhood' so all the courses related to foods you have as a child or themed around childhood, such as nursey rhymes. I love the concept that the menu changes frequently and they all seem very well thought out. You also have the option of having a matching wine menu to go with each course.

Also, before we move onto what everyone really wants to know about (the food!) I just wanted to say that the staff were all so friendly and I felt very comfortable with the new measures in place. The service was very efficient and a great atmosphere overall!

The Tasting Menu - Vegetarian

Just as a side note, I did have the vegetarian tasting menu as I'm pescatarian, however, it didn't differ hugely from the non-veggie option and the plating was very similar.

Course 1: Lasagne 

I love lasagne so this was a great start! It was so delicately plated and as soon as I took the first mouthful I knew this was going to be a good menu. It had a rich creamy cheese sauce with perfectly cooked pasta and soft vegetables. For something of that size, it packed a punch with flavour.
The non-veggie option had an ox cheek ragu but overall looked very similar. 


Course 2: Smoked Kohlrabi Tartare 

This was using the idea of fish fingers but creating a veggie option. I loved the plating of this dish and the contrast in textures was really pleasant. I hadn't tried mooli before (a white radish) so it was interesting to try something new. The pickled mooli helped to replicate the flavours of tartare sauce. The non-veggie option was very similar again but had salmon tartare in it as well.


Course 3: Egg & Soldiers 

This course was one of my favourites as it wasn't what I was expecting. It was so rich and indulgent! It had brown butter in it and a celeriac soldier to accompany the slow-cooked cracklebean egg. Everything was just cooked to perfection! It was one of those dishes I was sad to finish!
Both the veggie and non-veggie options were the same.



Course 4: Black Truffle Mac n Cheese

This was definitely not your average mac n cheese! I absolutely loved the presentation of this dish and the cauliflower slices were so thin and delicate yet perfectly cooked. You definitely couldn't have a large plateful though as it was very rich so they definitely portioned it well. It was about this point that I started to feel a little full so I would say the portion sizes are good value for money compared with other tasting menus. Each course is definitely more than a single mouthful!
Again, the veggie and non-veggie option were the same for this course except for a slight change in cheeses since one wasn't veggie.

Course 5: Sausage & Beans/ Duck Duck Goose

These courses differed slightly across menus. The veggie option was a white bean hash with ricotta gnocchi, whilst the non-veggie option was a duck breast with leg bon bon and gnocchi. Both were served with a punchy pumpkin and black garlic emulsion. I really liked visually how this dish looked with the contrasting colours. I found the emulsion a little too strong for my palette so I only had a small amount of it but it certainly added visual appeal to the dish.

Course 6: Ring a Ring o' Roses

The dessert was just magical, that's the best way to describe it. Somehow using dry ice just makes the whole experience so special and intriguing. They placed a bowl of roses in the centre of the table and poured water on the dry ice to create smoke across the whole table. The dessert looked absolutely stunning and it was exactly what you needed after quite a rich menu. The centre was a raspberry and rose sorbet surrounded with a custard. It had flavours of raspberry, lychee and rose so perfectly light and sweet. This is the dish that made it a special occasion and the most memorable.




Final Thoughts
Overall, the experience was brilliant. The tasting menu is £35 per person which is really good value for money for a 6 course tasting menu, and in London, for food of such a high quality. You can tell they have really planned the menus well and paid attention to details like textures and creating an experience around the food.
I hope to go back soon and try their other menus!

Be sure to check out their website below:

If you liked this post, visit my full blog at: 
https://littlechefbeth.blogspot.com  
Or subscribe by email!

Comments

Popular Posts