My Favourite Vegetarian Foods

Hello there!
During January some people decide to reduce their meat consumption as part of their resolutions for the year. I have been pescatarian for over a year but I predominantly eat vegetarian whilst I am at university so I have tried lots of different vegetarian alternatives throughout this time, some good and some bad, but these are my favourite. Some of these products are also vegan so are perfect for those who are taking part in Veganuary. Enjoy!

My Favourite Vegetarian Foods*

1. Quorn Mince
When cooking meals for myself, I prefer to make meals that are quick and I can bulk out easily with lots of vegetables. Quorn mince is so easy to use as you can cook it from frozen and it only takes 10 minutes in a pan. That means you can make a vegetarian bolognese in just 10 minutes, the length of time the pasta takes to cook. Quorn mince is just as versatile as normal beef mince so I have used it in tacos, chili con carne and enchiladas. It doesn't have a very strong flavour so you can add lots of herbs and spices for flavour. I would say it is a staple for any beginner vegetarian.


2. Quorn Chicken and Bacon Lattices
In my family we tend to have a Sunday roast dinner nearly every week but trying to find vegetarian alternatives to the meat part of the dish can be difficult. Personally, I like to have the Quorn chicken and bacon lattices instead of meat as they are substantial enough to fill you up. I don't really "miss" meat like some vegetarians do so I am not bothered about finding a bacon alternative but I do like the smokey flavour it adds to the lattice. If you're looking for something for Sunday dinner give these a go!



3. Linda McCartney Sausages 
Linda McCartney products are popular amongst many of my friends, some of which aren't vegetarian. My favourite product from the range is the rosemary and red onion sausages as they have so much flavour. The best way to describe how they taste is that they taste like Christmas stuffing. The texture is also nice and not too chewy. I tend to have them with mash potato, veg and gravy or cut up in tomato pasta. If you are looking for a vegetarian sausage I would recommend these!

4. Linda McCartney Burgers
If I had to pick another Linda McCartney product which I like it would have to be the mozzarella burgers. For a vegetarian alternative these burgers aren't dry at all as sometimes they can be because of the reduced fat content. The mozzarella within the burger adds a great flavour and the texture of the burger is meaty but still not chewy at all. I like to have them with BBQ sauce in a bun or with potato wedges and salad. These can also be cooked on a barbecue so are perfect for all year round. They do other types of burgers like pulled pork and normal 1/4lb burgers.




5. Frozen Bakes e.g. Feta, Lemon and Asparagus 
Most supermarkets do their own version of frozen vegetarian bakes which are usually in breadcrumbs so you bake them from frozen. I have tried a variety of different ones including Katsu curry flavoured bakes and many of them have cheese in them. My personal favourite are the feta, lemon and asparagus or broccoli and stilton ones from Morrisons. However, there are loads of different ones available in the freezer aisle of supermarkets. They are perfect for a quick dinner when I'm home late from university and they are great for everyone not just vegetarians. In addition, the labels are sometimes cleaner than other frozen baked products. 

These are just some of my favourites but the amount of vegetarian and vegan products in growing dramatically and will continue to do so. I hope this is helpful anyone trying to go vegetarian or generally reduce their meat consumption. 

*This is not a sponsored blog post and all opinions are entirely my own

If you liked this post, visit my full blog at: 

Comments

Popular Posts