Review: Digbeth Dining Club

Hello there!

I had heard about the variety of food stalls at Digbeth Dining Club* so I had to take a visit while I was in Birmingham. It was recommended to me by many friends so I wanted to see what all the fuss was really about. I wasn't disappointment when visiting on a Sunday with the atmosphere, venue and food all being fab! My boyfriend and I tried foods from a few different stalls so I thought I would show you what dishes we went for and my thoughts on them. Enjoy!



My Trip to Digbeth Dining Club


Southern Thai Vegan Curry - Buddha Belly

I arrived at lunch time and was super hungry and the smells of freshly cooked food gave me even more of an appetite. The first stall I came across as I went in (I had to pay a £2 entry fee on a Sunday) was Buddha Belly which sold a variety of curries. I became pescatarian recently, but even before then I have always loved vegetarian and vegan curries. Personally, I find they still have all the flavour and aroma without being too heavy or fatty on the palate. In this case, I went for a vegan curry served with rice. It had a variety of vegetables in it which all absorbed the Thai flavours of coriander, lemon grass and spices very well.
Personally, the dish could have benefited from a little more crunch from some of the vegetables as the squash and rice was very soft so a contrast in textures, such as some cashew nuts, could have added a little extra crunch. Nonetheless, it was a very wholesome dish and I think represents what many vegans like about plant-based foods.

Price per portion = £8.00
Value for money - a little pricey for a vegan dish but you get quite a large portion






Grilled Halloumi Pitta - Street Souvlaki

I absolutely love Greek food so when I saw Street Souvlaki I knew I had to try a pitta filled with lots of fresh flavours. I had seen this company at a few other food events across the country so I was very excited to try what they had to offer. I am a massive halloumi fan due to it's saltiness and the meat-like texture it has so it was definitely the best option for me. The pitta came with salad, tzatziki, lemon and pickled chilli (admittedly, I turned down the pickled chilli as they didn't appeal to me). The combination of salad, fresh tzatziki and halloumi was one I loved. Sometimes too much halloumi can become almost sickly and rich but this was the perfect amount and the whole pitta tasted very fresh and clean which I really liked. I am someone who really can't stand anything that's dripping in grease but this was the complete opposite. I did have quite high expectations for this dish just because it was very much my food heaven and they certainly delivered so nice job Street Souvlaki!

Price per portion = £7.50
Value for money - if comparing with a sandwich it was quite pricey but it did taste great and was a lot cheaper than some other dishes














Jerk Fries - Only Jerkin'

They offered fries as a side at Street Souvlaki but instead I was intrigued to try the ones from Only Jerkin' because of the interesting aromas from their stall. Like I said earlier, I don't eat chicken which is their speciality but I wanted to try their jerk spice mix still. They did fries with the spice mix sprinkled on them (a similar concept to Nando's peri-peri chips essentially) which I thought was interesting. The spice mix was something I hadn't tried before. It had a little kick to it but nothing very overwhelming and it almost had a sweet-savouriness to them which was very unusual. In terms of the cooking of the chips themselves they were a little on the hard side for my personal taste but I prefer chips that have lots of fluffy potato in the middle, whilst theirs were more on the crispy side. Nonetheless, the spice mix was very interesting and something I hadn't tried before.

Price per portion = £4.00
Value for money - this seemed expensive for just a portion of chips when many stalls were offering them cheaper with a burger or as part of a meal

Banoffee - Flat Doughnuts

You can't finish a trip to a food market without having dessert so we headed to Flat Doughnuts which sell, yep you guessed it, doughnuts which are flattened. I hadn't seen this idea before and it was very original. They had lots of different toppings but we went for the banoffee flat doughnut which had slices of banana, caramel sauce and biscoff biscuit pieces. I thought it was great that they also did gluten free and vegan options since finding gluten free desserts that aren't just ice cream is quite difficult still for many people. The texture of the doughnut itself was really light and crisp without being soggy or greasy. The flavours were great as it wasn't too sweet or sickly. The idea was very quirky and would be great for somewhere like a funfair. Overall, certainly a different dessert to waffles or churros and I would definitely want to try their other toppings.

Price per portion = £6.00
Value for money - when compared with how much you pay for a dessert in a dessert parlour it was quite reasonable and they are made fresh for each customer



*This is not a sponsored blog post and all opinions are entirely of my own. However, if you do want to visit Digbeth Dining Club there is a link below:
https://www.digbethdiningclub.com/

If you liked this post, visit my full blog at: 

Popular Posts